08 février 2018

Given First Lines - set 1 round 1

"Give me a chance." 
I had known my résumé was lacking, and that had been my closing argument at the interview.  I rather wish they hadn't. 

"Not you again..."  I had told him repeatedly that he was not her father.  We had done a paternity test that came back negative.  He kept coming by.  I was never going to let him near her, but I was starting to think this argument was just an excuse to see me.  I was exhausted. 

"I'm so in love with you."  He smiled at her words, but her mouth tasted sour.  It was their 20th wedding anniversary and she hadn't been in love with him for 19 years.  She wondered if his smile was just acceptance and resignation to the situation, but she didn't dare ask. 

"Dance with me!"  They were in the grocery store, in the freezer aisle by the vegetables to be exact, and one of the top 40 songs was playing over the store speakers.  She grabbed his hand and pulled him into her in the middle of the aisle.  He was shy, but there wasn't really anyone around and he succumbed. 

"Catch me if you can!"  The little girl was giggling as she ran with her bubble wand, streaming liquid rainbow orbs behind her.  An older man, presumably her father, pretended to run after her.  His tie hung loose around his neck and his top button was undone.  He must have just gotten off work.  It seemed to me a tremendous display of devotion to bring his daughter to the park without even taking the time to change clothes. 

"Are you drunk?"  The question was obviously sarcastic as it was 0900.  It was also rather unprofessional, but the Commander appeared to be at her wit's end as she glared at the Lieutenant sitting two chairs down from her.  It would seem that she did not care for his idea of warfare tactics. 

Aucun commentaire: