18 janvier 2018

Opening Lines Day 3

In addition to the idea that you should write 5 opening lines a day, I also like taking these exercises week by week.  I am trying to start as though I know nothing about writing (which, perhaps, would almost be better) so I am moving through these slowly.  New exercises will start next week.

I also went back and looked at the first lines of two of my favourite books.  They are stellar.

The Curious Incident of Dog in the Night-time opens with, "It was seven minutes after midnight."  Short, sweet, simple, and immediately sets a scene.

Shantaram opens with, "It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."  Just... wow.

Mine today:
1
"Unusual ways to dispose of a body" she typed into the search bar, hesitating only slightly before hitting enter.

2
It's amazing how much clarity one finds hiding under the bed.

3
"Looks good to me," the young Sailor called up the ladder, blatantly overlooking the rapidly developing cracks in the shaft seal.

4
In her opinion, the conversation had been over for fifteen minutes; he clearly hadn't noticed.

5
There comes a time in everyone's life when you find yourself sitting in the driver's seat, gripping the wheel, debating driving to the airport to fly away and never come back; or at least, I hope that happens to everyone because this was the fourth time it was happening to me.

Aucun commentaire: