16 janvier 2018

Relearning how to write

I've taken an obviously lengthy break from all of my writing.  I will be going through a series of exercises for the next few months in order to attempt to harness and hone and therein better my chances of getting into grad the school.  You will find the first below. 

How to Get and Keep a Reader - write a good first line. 
I will probably try to write 1-5 opening lines every day.  First lines are important.  My first attempt is as follows:

1
It was not dark nor stormy, neither, in fact, was it night. 

2
He came through the shop door soaking wet and smelling of rotting vanilla cupcakes. 

3
They were all looking at me expectantly and I could no longer read the words jotted on my notecard. 

4
Ms. Cresher was dressed impeccably, as always, save that one of her diamond earrings was set in white gold and one set in yellow gold. 

5
The atmosphere in the conference room reminded John of the sound gelatin makes when it suddenly slides free of its mould. 

Aucun commentaire: